Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 01:58:11AM -0500, Mark Gray wrote:
> > Hal Burgiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Yea, but didn't solve anything.
> >
> > You do realize that 2.2.14 and UDMA-33 are both very beta and very
> > buggy?  There are 2.2.15-pre patches out that address major bugs,
> > including file system corruption last I noticed.
>
> This *is* on 2.2.15pre5. I need the 2.2.15pre5 for a new Acer 50X cdrom
> as well. UDMA33 has been around a while hasn't it?

Yes, but it is turning into a chipset by chipset, drive by drive
debugging battle from what I have seen.

> The drive is capable of 66, but I don't really care about
> that. Everything I hear is that not much of a difference to get
> excited about.

That is what I have heard -- I have also heard that some UDMA-66
drives start up in UDMA-66 and need to be told to use UDMA33 instead.
You should probably report your problems to linux-kernel and perhaps
Cc: directly to Andre Hedrick as well.  Also make sure you are using
the right cable (the pretty one with the blue end plugged into the
motherboard and no non-UDMA drive or CD-rom on the same cable -- just
mentioning this in case you did not already know.)

> But I do know that my WD 5400rpm drives with -d1, benchmark several
> times faster than the IBM 7200rpm without -d1. Hence, my real interest
> here. Can't help myself when it comes to speed ;)

Cannot argue with that -- fun is fun.