On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 07:52:06PM -0500, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 05:05:38PM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > > Just got a new IBM 7200 RPM 13G HDD, and I am finding it
> > > impossible to turn on DMA with hdparm. Kernel version is
> > > 2.2.15pre5. It immediately resets and disables DMA. Using '-d1
> > > -X34' causes an immediate, hard lockup. What's really
> > > disappointing is that my el-cheapo WD HDDs with DMA on show 2-3
> > > times the throughput of the IBM with 'hdparm -tT' (different box
> > > with newer BIOS). I've played with the BIOS a bit which does
> > > support UDMA33, but not having any luck there. PIO mode is set
> > > to auto. Any ideas???
> >
> > Find the file "dvd-ide-2.2.14-1.diff.bz2".  I've forgotten where I
> > got it, but contains ide updates for ther kernel, as well as dvd
> > ioctls, and support for newer ide chipsets.  I'm using it in my
> > kernel rpm, and it works very well on my ABit BP-6 motherboard.
> > Prior to this patch, the BP-6 behaved the same as your
> > description.
>
> OK, tried this, but got errors when going against 2.2.15pre5. This
> is a quandry since 2.2.15pre5 introduces support for the new Acer
> cdrom drive I have. IIRC Mark Lord did this and not Jens Axboe, and
> I don't see a reference to it in either of the dvd-* patches. I
> contacted Jens Axboe (sp?) (who did the dvd-ide patch), and he says
> the error is indicative of a cabling problem -- bad cable, cable too
> long or whatever. So tried brand new, shorter cable -- no difference
> at all, same errors. Oh well ...

OK, got it going after a kernel building marathon. Tried 2.2.15pre6,
no go. Tried both of the IDE patches (Andre Hedricks and Axboe's),
neither would patch clean on pre6. Tried 2.3.42, and after several
config attempts got it working, basically selecting all the relevant
IDE stuff, including experimental. But lost my cdrom in the process.
So went back to 2.2.15pre5 with Andre's patch, and tried the config
again remembering that some of the same new/experimental options were
present there as in 2.3.42 which I had been reluctant to try before.
Now I have both CDROM working and DMA working on the DeskStar drive. I
think I'll sleep now ...

I am not sure which, but one or more these in combo worked: (just in
case anyone else is in the same boat)

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y