Got it working, by following Hal's webpage.  The only bits that were unclear
were the xset bit which I assumed you couldn't do in X and also I was unsure
whether you required the unix:/-1 bit in XF86Config if I wasn't upgrading
from RH5.  I put it in anyway.  My fonts are visible to everything except
WP8.  The font.alias file is labourius effort but I've set it up for arial
and webpages look much better. Is there anywhere you can get additional
type1 fonts? Ta everyone. NH