I've had trouble with that too, although on mine it
required a password but nothing would work unless they
actually had an account on the machine.

I finally got this entry to more or less work:

# Archives directory.
[archives]
   comment = Archives of many things.
   path = /mnt/archives
   browseable = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   public = yes
   user = guest

The makes my (normally NFS) archives share open to
windows users so they can pull down files just as
easily.

--
J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"That wasn't an attack.  It was preemptive retaliation!"