on 2/25/00 9:12 AM, J. Scott Kasten at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've had trouble with that too, although on mine it
> required a password but nothing would work unless they
> actually had an account on the machine.
> I finally got this entry to more or less work:
> # Archives directory.
> [archives]
> comment = Archives of many things.
> path = /mnt/archives
> browseable = yes
> writable = no
> printable = no
> public = yes
> user = guest
> The makes my (normally NFS) archives share open to
> windows users so they can pull down files just as
> easily.

Earlier in the smb.conf file, did you uncomment the
guest account setting? Did you add anything to the
smbpasswd file? What about the settings for the
owner & group for the directroy /mnt/archives on
your rive? Are they set to root or something else
like nobody or guest?

I'll give your above settings a try. It looks pretty
similar to what I already tried. No matter what
I do, it's always looking for a password and then
fails to connect.

--Glen