I'm going to look into both of these, but would like suggestions for my
needs anyway. I have tried ipfm already which doesn't seem to give
agregate totals, but does what Martin is asking below on a per IP basis.
I wrote a script to addup the totals, but would prefer the tool to do it
all for me.

All I want to do is monitor a single interface (my DSL connection to the
net) and see how much bandwidth I really use. Peak volume rates would also
be usefull, but simply a number I can use to give me an idea what
bandwidth I'd need if I ever needed to co-locate my server ( quite likely
in a few months)  is all I need. I don't care where the packts are going
or who they come from. I just want a rollup for that interface for an
interval, a month being the most important, but per day would be nice too.

anyone have any suggestions other than mrtg and cricket?

thanks
charles