> OK, I may not be a ROCKET SCI, but isnt that why your suppose to:
>
> BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!!!
> >
> > BTW, before someone says, where are your tape backups... the Exabyte
> > drive died.  So, I used the available space on the other drive to backup
> > the system, foolishing thinking that the drive would be left alone.

And what does the above say about that?  You can't back up on broken
equipment.  Yes, it is partially my fault, but that is no excuse for
what RedHat's installation did.

NO installation should blindly destroy partitions, no matter what.  The
user should have every opportunity to tell the installation which drives
it is to use and which drives it is to leave alone, or at the very least,
where to mount them after the installation is complete.

The RedHat installation failed to do that and as a result, I have data but
no partition table to which to e2fsck it.

MB