I also think it helps to

lower spam because less mis configuration,
ISP has access to logs for all mail sent (which may even be a legal
requirement)
lower traffic across routers (maybe result of faster transfer because more
direct)

If all mail servers only accepted mail from thier own IP space, spam may be
noticed much quicker, and its much easier to catch the offenders especially
when you would have acess to system logs, also you can ban a user from
youtr own system easier, for this reason alone it should be supported.

On 28/02/00 at 10:13 Anthony E. Greene wrote:

>At 19:18 2000-02-28 +1100, Greg Wright wrote:
>>Dont allow relaying, get them to smtp through thier ISPs mail server, and
>>allow them to access pop3 on your server, the other way in my opinion is
>>waste of effort for all, if really needed your going to have to wait a
bit
>>and play with the next version of sendmail, or look for a pop auth scheme
>
>Qualcomm's POP3 server qpopper and mail client Eudora Pro both support
POP3
>for submission. But the real solution is as you suggested. As a user, I
>find that using my ISP's SMTP server generally results in a faster mail
>transfer.

Regards

Greg Wright
IT Consultant Sydney Australia

--

*** Please trim any replies ***
*** Please turn off HTML in your email ***