Greetings,

Yesterday, I upgraded to the released NS 4.72 packages.  Same D*&^
problem with Java.  Netscape crashed at least 4-5 times (especially
bad when the wife was trying to do some work with it).

RedHat, if you are listening -- please, please, please, please
beat on <bs><bs>... work with Netscape/AOL to get a stable, reliable
version of 4.x.

WILL 5.x BE ANY BETTER?

I also run Mozilla (M14).  It is nice, but currently slow
(debug code most likely), equally unstable (or more so), and
the current appearance is very plain 2D.  It needs work too....

This has been a problem for YEARS!  WHY CAN'T THEY GET IT RIGHT.
Netscape is one of the most critical of applications for Linux.
If we did not have Netscape (or another equally capable browser),
Linux would be nowhere near as useful for everyday work.  I, for
one, would not be able to use Linux on a day to day basis on my
laptop (mainly for WWW stuff) were it not for Netscape!  Up until
a few years ago, this was the case -- no drivers for my Thinkpad
hence all browsing was via Win95 -- but desktop was Linux....

For Linux -- Netscape is an enabling technology.   It ENABLES
users to use Linux for the desktop in MANY circumstances.  It
is a CRITICAL APPLICATION!  HOWEVER, IT IS UNSTABLE!

Linux is known for stability.  However, when applications like
Netscape hang (use 99% CPU), or they crash and take gnome/E/X
with it (happens every few days), this reflects bad on all of
Linux -- especially should a newbie have this happen!  Newbies
often would be unable to distinguish between Netscape crashing,
Gnome/E/X crashing and Linux crashing :(

My 2 cents.

Sorry for the rant and rave, but companies like RedHat, VA,
Caldera, LinuxCare need to do something about Netscape!

Cheers,
--
W. Wade, Hampton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Support:  Linux Knowledge Base Organization  http://linuxkb.org/