> Considering that my network is going to be so small, do I need DNS?

It depends.  If you are just going to have a bunch of linux machines, then
no, you can just put the entried in your hosts file (assuming this is a
private network).  If you have win9x machines on there, you might need DNS
unless you just wanna refer to every machine by its IP.  Win9x will use
LMHOSTS, but I don't know how well it works, and its been a long time since
I even thought about it.
No, if you are going to be accessing the Internet, you will need to know the
address of an authoritative DNS (probably provided by your ISP).