>On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Robert Burton wrote:
>
>> I have a Snap Server 4000 (rack mount) that I need to backup. I can
>> connect to the Snap via smbmount (which I've already done) and by NFS.
>> But I haven't used NFS before. Is using one better then the other? Any
>> opinions on which would be better to connect with to do the backups? The
>> backups by the way are going to a Seagate Scorpion96 tape drive I have
>> hooked up the a Linux box, I still need to get it to work with BRU though.
>
>I am not a fan of NFS, but don't you lose ALL security permissions of
>files and directories if you use smbmount to backup your computer?

Hossein,

As someone else mentioned, Samba can help you with the file and directory
permissions. I'm actually not to worried about that. The files are used
in a primarily Windows95/98 environment so those permissions are not a
big worry.

Can you explain why you're not a fan of NFS? I guess I should explain
more of what I'm looking for. Things like what keeps a connection better
(if that's even an issue). Speed of file transfers. How much burden is
each protocol on the server. Things like that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bob Burton
IT Consultant
Literati Information Technology, LLC

It's all in the palm of your hand, 3Com PalmPilot,http://www.3com.com/palm

Robert Burton                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]