>> > No.  You can configure Samba to preserve file permissions, etc.
>>
>>Could you elaborate on that?
>>
>>Samba (being a clone of MS Networking) has no concept of user-group-other
>>permissions. Sure you can set it to enforce a certain set of permissions,
>>but it is far from what is available in Unix.
>>
>>Also don't forget that the origianl post was with regards to making
>>backups using either samba or NFS. For example, what would permissions of
>>"/tmp" be after you backup and restore via samba?
>>
>>Hossein
>
>An easy way around this.
>
>Backup using tar to a samba share directory, then just backup the tar file.
>
>All perms will be restored with the tar file (Assuming you use cvpf option)
>
>It works like a treat. (For me anyway)

Luckily for me I am backing up a Snap Server, so there's just user files
on it and permissions are not a worry at all. The Snap allows you to set
some security, but not to the extent that a Linux system can. So that
takes me bac to my original question, which is better SMB or NFS? Does
one have more hassle over the other to setup correctly? (I already have
smbmount on,compiled and it works). Is one faster then the other? Etc..

Thanks.

-Bob Burton
IT Consultant
Literati Information Technology, LLC