Steve Borho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there some trick to making the default kernel that ships with 6.2 use
> the ide-scsi emulator for cdroms without recompiling?
>
> It seems to be it should be possible if one knew the right incantations to
> put into /etc/conf.modules and /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> Has anyone tried this?

Yeap, I did . Now I try  help you and maybe you can answer a question I asked
many times on this list with no luck (it is related ...)

The pb for me was to have hdc as ide and hdd as ide-scsi

I tried the lilo option : didn't do it (used to before though)

so here is the basic thing : in etc/conf.modules I put

alias sr0 ide-scsi

This will use ide-scsi for all cdroms which are not already of ide type. Probably
all what you need.

But lets go back to my pb :

I thought I could do this

alias hdc ide-cd
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

so the hdc would be taken by ide first . Nope since it looks like the pre-install
is BROKEN with 6.2 (this is my question ...)

now, if I do

alias hdc ide-cd
alias sr0 ide-scsi
below ide-scsi ide-cd

it works !

Note : I have had the exact same pb with bttv and tuner modules.
Normally you load the bttv module and pre-install the tuner. This is
broken with 6.2. But if you do :

below bttv tuner

it works.

Did anybody else experience and/or can confirm thet pre-install is broken with 6.2 ?

Thanks

Philippe