On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 06:43:59AM -0500, Steve Borho wrote:
> Is there some trick to making the default kernel that ships with 6.2 use
> the ide-scsi emulator for cdroms without recompiling?
>
> It seems to be it should be possible if one knew the right incantations to
> put into /etc/conf.modules and /etc/lilo.conf.
>
> Has anyone tried this?

I just love answering my own posts, but I figure other people might find this
useful.  (BTW: What's up with the list, it took four days for my post to show
up)

If you've got an IDE cd-burner, you can enable ide-scsi support for it
without recompiling the kernel.  This takes (as far as I can tell) two
steps...

add an append line to the linux section of /etc/lilo.conf so it looks like
this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
    label=linux
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda1
    append="hdd=ide-scsi"

In my case, /dev/hdd is the IDE cd-burner.  Now, run /sbin/lilo to make it
take effect.  This should tell the ide-cd driver not to try stealing that
device, so the ide-scsi driver can later use it.

Step two:  Add the following lines to /etc/conf.modules

alias    scsi_hostadaptor  ide-scsi
options  ide-cd ignore=hdd

Now, reboot.

For me, neither ide-scsi nor sg were automatically loaded.  There's probably a
way to make this happen by adding more lines to /etc/conf.modules, but I really
don't care.  It takes three seconds to load them by hand.  (modprobe ide-scsi
sg).  When I do load them, I get the following kernel messages:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 7200   Rev: 2.02
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 2x/6x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

Looks good to me.

--
Steve Borho                       Voice:  314-615-6365
Member of Technical Staff

Fortune of the day:
manic-depressive, adj.:
        Easy glum, easy glow.