| I have a RH box with an ide drive on /dev/hda
| I'd like to clone this drive...
|
| Question:
| Can I plug in another IDE drive as say /dev/hdb and run the following
| command to do the trick?
|
| dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=1
|
| If not, what's the best way? Assume the person doing this is an end user
| in another country (really is)... :)

I doubt you have only 1 partition on this disk - but I always use the
following command procedures:
- insert the new drive
- partition the new drive - make sure the new partitions are just as big
  or bigger than the original ones
- mount the first new partition under /mnt
- cd to the first partition on the old hd
- find . -print | cpio -pdm /mnt
- unmount /mnt
- repeat for the other partitions

This way you dont end up with an exact copy of the old disk - which is
probably not what you want anyways - but you can actualy specify the
size of the new partitions.

J.