> I would really like to know a way to clone a bootable disk quickly without
> having to resort to ghost and it's per workstation ghosted (used to be at
> least before Norton bought it, I assume it still is).

The community college I worked for/went to purchased Ghost after looking at
it and IC3 (IIRC). IC3 seemed to give you more features, but it wasn't my
decision. They both allow for multi-casting the image across the network.
Basically you can redo all the machines at one time. You make one master
system and make an image from it.

A little bit of a rundown:

1.      Install/Config the master machine. Its best to have all the same hardware
in all the same slots. School I went to had computers in 2 batches and the
NIC was in a different slot in 8 of 24 machines.

2.      Make sure Ghost is running on the server (in this case it was NT 4). You
boot the master machine with a boot floppy that has a NIC driver and ghost
software on it. You tell it what you want to Ghost and it creates the image
and saves it to the server.

3.      Boot your target machines with their boot floppies. We did the process in
2 sessions (generally with 100% reliability on a 10 Mbps LAN) of 12 each.
Once all the machines are booted and listening, you go to the server and
send the images out. You can create different images.

4.      If you use DHCP to completely config the machines you shouldn't have to
touch them again. The school didn't and we ended up have to config the
NetBIOS machine names.

The images were around 1GB compressed. They were Win95 (now 98), Office 97,
and some school lab software. The multicasting session took about 20-30
minutes. It could take up to 2 hours if everything went to hell, sometimes
an hour was all that was needed.

Hope that helps.

Patrick