or you can skip the gunzip command and do:

tar xvzf filename.tar.gz

once tar has unarchived the package you cd into the newly created directory and
there should be README and INSTALL files to read.  typically, though, you can
'cd' into root and then run:

/configure
then
/make ; make install

of course there are exceptions.  your best bet is to read those README's and
INSTALL files.

hope that helps a bit.