Hi all you helpful RH people:

Thank you for your quick and informative reply.  However, I think I missed
something. I will try the "gunzip filename.tar.gz" command when I get back to
RH (requires a reboot) but I guess I have to ask. I've seen packages like:

        filename.tar
        filename.tar.gz

but one of the files I have is "filename.tar.tar" so,wouldn't that require an
extra step?
Maybe I'm just dense and still thinking DOS but I gotta ask.