On Jun 07, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I recently had some
> similar errors on a newish WD caviar, and now RH is running on a
> Maxtor instead. Maybe mine weren't so bad. I could run several days,
> maybe a week or two, before errors. I did several partial re-installs.
> Blamed it on SMP for a while. IOW, I would suspect the drive. Things
> you might try: try a different cable. Make sure cable is seated
> properly. Use a memory testing program like memtest86 to check RAM.
> Also, cpu and mboard stress testers like burnCPU and burnBX (not exact
> names, I forget). If using hdparm to tweak, turn it all off. I did all
> this, and got it down to the drive. Zero errors on the Maxtor now (up
> 21 days). I also have another WD which is not doing this. The WD in
> question, replaced a WD that died abruptly well before its time. I am
> a little soured on WD at this point. I hope this is not it for you.

I have an old system with WDs in it.  The first two have worked flawlessly
since they were installed.  I just put in a third one, though, and I got
similar problems as described.  However, it's only happened once and it was
after a test install of another system.  That's no excuse, but it might shed
some light.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on my system, so I'm not about to go out
and buy a new drive unless I need one...  as long as this latest WD keeps its
wits about it, I'm going to leave it alone...

-Michael

--
No, my friend, the way to have good and safe government, is not to trust it
all to one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to every one exactly