Charles Galpin wrote:
> Are your monitors the same size?

No, one 17" and one 14" monitor.

> If not, how did things go? Was it a hassle? Does it look ok? Is it worth
> mucking with without monitors of the same size?

I have had a little bit of hassle, but I don't think it's XFree86's
fault.  It may be...  My 14" monitor is one I bought about 3 years ago.
It's been mostly unused for the last year.  I'm trying to use it at
1024x768 @ 60 Hz, but it's behaving like the refresh is too high.
Sometimes I turn it on, and it's fine, though...

I did find the solution to my earlier problem.  Both xinerama and dual
head work now that I specified :
Screen 1 "Screen 1" RightOf "Screen 0"
in the ServerLayout section in /etc/X11/XF86Config

> I bought a g400 recently, but haven't had time to switch to XFree86 4.0.

Don't bother.  Not yet.  Utah-glx supports hardware accelerated GLX
under 3.3.6, but 4.0 currently has no hardware acceleration for the
G400.  I've got one on my other workstation, and Utah-glx is pretty
cool.  Matrox is paying Precision Insight to develop a driver for
XFree86 that supports both dual head and OpenGL, I beleive.  Wait for
that.

> I'm also lacking motivvation because the old spare monitor I have is a
> 15" and I think it might look pretty bad next to my 19"

It's not terrible. Windows shrink when I move them to the smaller
monitor, but that doesn't distract me at all.

MSG