Anurag Jalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The share def section of /etc/smb.conf in my Redhat 6.2 looks like this :
>
>[homes]
>comment = Home directories
>path = /home/%u
>browseable = no
>writable = yes
>create mode = 644

Samba will default to /home/username when using the special "homes" share,
so the path variable isn't entirely necessary, but won't hurt anything.

>[pchome]
>comment = PC directories
>path = /usr/pc/%u
>public = no
>writable = yes
>
>I have added users to my Linux system with the KDE user manager .. defining
>shell=/bin/bash and ; home dir = /home/userid ; passwords for each..
>
>Have added encrypted passwords for each user to /etc/smbpasswd ...
>
>Now when i try to access the shares from the Network Neighbourhood .. I can
>access the [homes] share pefectly ( its shows up as .. 'userid' )
>
>But when i click on the [pchome] icon i get the following err msg .
>' \\Server\pchome is not accessible . The share name was not found . Be
>sure you typed it correctly '
>
>What am I doing WRONG ? Am I supposed to create the /usr/pc directory ( I
>did but deleted it when it didn't work )

You'll need to create the *entire* directory structure - in this case
/usr/pc/%u, where %u is the name of the user logged in.  Based on the name
of your share, I'm wondering if you actually intended to use the name of
the PC rather than the username.  I have a similar share that looks like so:

[pcinfo]
         comment = PC info & backup directory
         path = /home/winapps/pcinfo/%m
         browseable = no
         writeable = yes
         force group = staffg
         valid users = @staffg
         printable = no
         create mode = 0660
         directory mode = 0770

Notice the path of /home/winapps/pcinfo/%m.  In this case the variable %m
uses the netbios name of the PC.  For a PC named 'cashier1', I'd have a
directory on my samba server like so:

/home/winapps/pcinfo/cashier1

HTH

-Eric