Well, after long hours spent in front of the machine accompanied with major
hair loss, I finally got sendmail 8.10.2 to work with sasl and smtp auth.
The same machine is also using Cyrus imapd.  It is my understanding that
Cyrus Imapd uses SASL, which I configured (for the Cyrus IMAP application)
to use pam.  Then I edited etc/pam.d/imap so that the box actually
authenticatd imap/pop3 clients using Novell's NDS via Novell's corporate
directory for Linux.  Anyways, Cyrus imapd works great and works with pam.

Is the same possible for sendmail?  Can I put pwcheck_method:PAM in
/usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf?  If so, what do I put the .mc file as far as
authentication mechanisms are concerned?  Sendmail docs say nothing about
using PAM.

Thanks in advance for any help,
--Moby