On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Hyung Kim wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me what the benefits are to
> leaving your computers on at all time.  I understand
> that there are benefits, however, I would like to be
> able to provide a more specific answer when other ask
> me whether they should leave their system on.  Thanks.
>
> Oh....What about turning just the monitor on and off?

Well, leaving the computer on saves wear and tear on the
hardware. When you turn it on, the motherboard and
associated components heat up, and thus, expand. When you
turn it off, they contract. This leads to PHYSICAL wear and
tear.

Also, you're more apt to burn or wear out your power switch
when you turn it on and off.

Finally, there are some operations that are set up
automagically by Linux to run during the "wee" hours of the
night, things such as the slocate command, and other things
which make it easier.

I would leave the monitor on, as well. Just set up the
screensaver to blank the screen after an hour or so of
screensaver or just make "blank screen" your screensaver.
Most monitors these days are "green" in that they can go
into "sleep" mode after awhile and wake back up in just a
minute or so when you want the computer again.

Finally, it takes a LARGE jolt of electricity to start up a
computer, which is a good way to fry the power supply  (if
it's already been weakened by repeated power cycling) and
the motherboard, CPU and other components.

Look at it this way -- it only takes a few extra watts of
electricity to leave the computer on 24/7 than it does to
leave it on for 8 hours and then come back.
        John