On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 06:20:01PM -0500, Tanner, Robby wrote:
> Leaving the PC on, particulaly with today's advanced power management
> features, lowers the total cost of ownership (TCO).  One of the largest
> areas of failure is caused by hardware.  Of those, a large percent can be
> attributed to bad solder joints.  This occurs due to thermal fatigue
> introduced by turning the computer off and on regularly.  In comparison to
> the small amount of current that a PC in sleep mode draws this can lead to a
> considerable saving over the years.  Obviously, the larger the network, the
> greater the desire to lower the TCO of each individual machine.

What would be the difference between turning off the PC by using the powerswitch
or having it switch itself off due to powersaving?  When the PC goes into
powersaving the harddisk will spin and cool down also and the monitor will
switch off too. If the motherboard draws less current it will cool down too
(be it perhaps not as much as with a total powerdown). Even worse if the
powersaving settings are set too short this might all happen multiple times
a day, won't this make matters worse in stead of better?

> This is not to say that everyone should adopt the same practice.  Just that
> you should select the strategy that suits you best.
>
> Another reason to leave PC's on 24-7, is that they can be remotely
> maintained by administrative staff.

I do very much agree to that especially in an office environment running any
kind of Unix (ok I'm dreaming). I once had a user who flipped the powerswitch
on his SUN because he needed a powercable and "he wasn't using it anyway", try
explaining to a former Windows or Mac user that there might be other people
using his Sun remotely :-).  Anyway a Unix box does a lot of things during the
night which you do not want to have running when you're working on it (e.g.
my Linux box insist on running a number of finds every time I turn it on >-().

> Given the above explanation, you should be able to make your own
> determination about the monitor.  Consider how hot the device gets, and the
> cooling sounds you can hear emanating from it when you switch it off.
>
> I would probably suggest turning the box off before the monitor.

Any specific reason why you would turn off the monitor last (considering the
fact that in most cases Linux will be able to shutdown the PC completely on most
recent hardware when it shuts down)? Just wondering.

Nico

> This is, of course, only my opinion based on what little I've experienced.
> Others may have differing views, which I may end up adopting....and
> presenting as if they were my idea in the first place :)

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/DME-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]