> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 07:13:28PM +1000, Dan Horth wrote:
> > get yourself an imac - the current models are fan-less and silent...
> [...]

That's true but it is more expensive!

> Hm, I'm still wondering how/if any machine with a spinning hard drive in
> it can be noiseless - with my machines, in three out of four cases the
> drives make more noise than the fan(s)...

Newer hardware that started about 5 years ago or beyond a few years, they
had been making hard drive that will stop spinning disks.  You must setup
the bios in CMOS for that.  If your CMOS has the listing "Power Management"
(NO, NOT WINDOWS) then highlight it then enter you will see "HD POWER DOWN:"
and the ranges will be "NEVER" to "15 min" depending on your CMOS.  Your
hard drive must support it or it will keep spinning.  I had a Seagate 260mb
and it will not power down until I got myself Maxtor 1.6gb a few years ago
and that powers down.  The hard drive will turn on the instant you use it,
just give it about 5 sec for the disk to spin up to speed.

CH