On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, K.Deepak wrote:

> Dear Jeff,
>
>         Yeah , i visited this website, but it doesn't says anything clearly.
> it just says they distribute pc's with RedHat 6.2 preloaded in it. But again
> , somewhere they talk about VA linux kernel. I am getting confused. can you
> tell me clearly whether really VA linux is a separate distribution of linux .
> If yes, whether reliable or not !!!!!!!.  I am planning to put a VA linux
> system ( a high end configuration ) as my mail and web -server.
>
> Hence , please help me out

I already sent another message replying to this, but let me clarify
something else since you mentioned the kernel in this case.  VA Linux
bundles a regular Red Hat distribution that is customized to run on their
hardware in order to improve performance, compatibility, etc.  Among other
things, they do bundle a customized kernel, but that is no different than
what Red Hat and other distributions do themselves.  They also bundle a
customized compile of the Linux kernel... which is not the same as to say
proprietary, of course.