Michael McLeod wrote:

> Dear Timothy,
> I tried removing the card but the Kernel could not boot completely.  I want
> to remove it so I can upgrade to RH 6.2.  Promise does not have an install
> disk or boot.img for 6.2.  So the only way to upgrade is remove the card.
> The card works fine, however, without it I can't see any extra speed on the
> windoz side and the Linux is not an ATA drive.
> Michael

    That's not accurate.  See the Ultra66 HOWTO.

    I installed on 6.2 fine, without using anything from Promise.  Basically
what you do is pass the kernel parameters that let it see the hard drives.
Once you upgrade/install you need the UDMA patches to the kernel, recompile
the kernel, install the new kernel, take out the kernel boot parameters, and
there you go.

    The only reason you need to pass in the kernel parameters is so it knows
where the address of each drive is; it can't autoprobe them.