On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 03:47:41PM -0400, Edward Schernau wrote:
> The same logic of why a winmodem might be appropriate
> for an OEM system also applies to linux - most of us running
> systems in the hundreds of MHz _do_ have some spare cycles.

> So why not take advantage of a cheaper modem?  Hell, most of
> us DONT have true PS printers - does using GS and printfilters
> to make a "software PS printer" make is bad?

> And, what's wrong with a binary-only driver?

        1) Slippery Slope

        You start down that slope with one little excuse that this one
little thing won't hurt and it doesn't stop until you've got a lot of
little things that hurt like hell.  Winmodems, winprinters, what's next.

        2) Nose of the camel

        We don't want this sucker in bed with us.

        3) Domino Theory

        When the first few start falling, how far behind are the others.

        4) Red Queen's Race

        They start creating all these "Win this" and Win that" and it
ends up we "Lose this" and we "Lose that" and we all end up working our
butts off doing low level grunt stuff just to maintain parity.

        Give us new things that give us new features, fine.  That I can
work for.  Give us crappy cheap junk designed to work only with Windows
and all our work is just going down a rat hole to support some inferior
products.

> --
> Edward Schernau,              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Network Architect             http://www.schernau.com
> RC5-64#: 243249                       e-gold acct #:131897

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/