-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Lynch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: winmodems vs. Lucent vs. open source

Chris, try http://www.linuxmodems.org and see if it's listed.

>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Greg Wright wrote:
>> > Another thought is, its very possible for the CPU to reach 100% for
various
>> > reasons for small periods of time, I wonder if the modem will get the
>> > attention it needs, or will it drop the carrier ?
>> >
>> It will drop carrier. I work for an ISP and I've seen it happen.
>> That's one reason we tell people to disable anything that eats up CPU
>> time when they've got a winmodem. Things like sound, etc. :-)
>> John

Interesting... my wife has a Cyrix 233MX that she runs Seti@home on
constantly, along with Tardis, YahooMail, IRQ, Outlook (*yes she's
running Win98SE*) Internet Connection Sharing, SetiMon, GetRight,
EntryPoint, MacAffee Virus Scan, RealPlayer, RadioSpy, >AND< she likes
to play Games online (she was a Beta Tester for Diablo 2, for example).
She has a 56K USR Winmodem.... and her connect times are on the order
of 4-5 DAYS at a time.  There are NO cycles "unused", but because
the schedular isn't starving any process, it stays connected.  So
the 100% means from a rogue (non-Nice) process, you might get a 100%
spike.... I've even seen that on her machine (as the machine was
crashing... it IS  Win98SE, after all!).  Only when she does the one
finger salute do we hear the "click" that the modem has disconnected.

Of course, we've now gotten to the stage of having a bunch of whips
and one dead horse... let's go on to other things! :)

Bill Ward