Hi,

I need to make a system-wide change so that every user when creating a
file will have it set to rw-rw----. So the umask setting would be 007. I
understand that by changing the setting in /etc/profile, it will go into
effect system wide for all current and new users. Is that right? Does this
have the same effect as adding "umask 007" to each user's .bashrc file. Or
if changing it for an individual user, should it be the .bash_profile
file? Finally, when changing /etc/profile, I do not understand what the
following means:

if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
        umask 002
else
        umask 022
fi

Since all files are now created on my system with a umask level of 002, I
am *assuming* that I would make the change to 002 in the above if/else
statement, but I am not sure what the above does, so I don't want to
change it without first understanding it.

Any help appreciated.

Gary