su (or su -) to root from a user account if you want to do root
stuff.

You have to log in on one of those terms in order to be able to login
directly as root.. which you don't need to do so don't worry about it.

When you connect (not login) to a system.. you're assigned a
psuedo-terminal (for remote logins only). This term must be in the
/etc/securetty file.

The local ones (up to 8 or there abouts) are pre-defined in that file
otherwise local admin work would be rough.

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Anthony Capone wrote:

> I would like to login as root remotely to make minor ajustments but then I
> can re-edit the securetty file to take away root access. My only question is
> that how do I logon onto one of those terminals? I tryed telnetting to the
> machine and I tryed to login but to no avail...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony
> ---------

* Statux *