-----Original Message-----
From: M. Neidorff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, August 31, 2000 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: setting partitions

>At 09:32 AM 08/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>How do I set my partitions where I want them? I am using Disk Druid and it
>>keeps putting my / as hda6 the only way I can get it to hda1 is to not put
>>in /boot. This is how it is setting it
>>
>>Mount Point    Device    Requested    Actual    Type
>>/Boot                hda1        7930m        7930m    Linux Native
>><Swap>           hda5        54m            54m         Linux swap
>>/                        hda6         23m            23m         Linux
>>Native
>>

>>I dont understand why it wont put / as hda1 or does it not matter? or am I
>>doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated as it seems like I am
>>the only one in this town trying to use Linux.
>
>It "shouldn't matter" (TM) but to take the conservative approach, ddruid
>makes the boot partition the first partition.  In older versions of lilo,
>the boot partition couldn't be beyond the 1024 cylinder limit.  (I get a
>warning with fdisk that my new 18G HDD has more than 1024 cylinders and
>that I should be careful about my boot partition.  why don't you make the
>boot partition first.  BTW, what are you using hda2 & hda3 for?  Did you
>know that they could also be primary partitions and used for swap and /?
>

>Mark

Not using hda2 or hda3 for anything these are just what RH set it all up as.
Right now the drive has four partitions on it for windows I delete them and
start with what I thought would be fresh. dont want win. on this system at
all its the kids old system that she refuses to use anymore, so I figured it
would make a good Linux box. when you say the boot partition do you mean "/"
or "/boot"? I have tried to make both first and no matter what it moves "/"
to hda6. Sorry if I sound dumb at this but I'm trying to learn this and want
to learn it right the first time.
Thanks
Jim