On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:10:59PM -0500, Jim Travnick wrote:
> Not using hda2 or hda3 for anything these are just what RH set it all up as.
> Right now the drive has four partitions on it for windows I delete them and
> start with what I thought would be fresh. dont want win. on this system at
> all its the kids old system that she refuses to use anymore, so I figured it
> would make a good Linux box. when you say the boot partition do you mean "/"
> or "/boot"? I have tried to make both first and no matter what it moves "/"
> to hda6. Sorry if I sound dumb at this but I'm trying to learn this and want
> to learn it right the first time.
> Thanks
> Jim

I think you are confusing what functions / and /boot perform and how Disk Druid
handles them. First, you only *need* one primary partion. This is so that the
BIOS can access your HD and run the bootstrap loader.  This can be LILO or the NT
boot loader or OS Commander. In the case of Linux, LILO is used to load
the kernel. It is either "THE" boot loader, ie in the MBR, or the secondary boot
loader, ie, on a primary partition that you specify in lilo.conf. This can be
/boot or / but it must contain the kernel.

In DD, if you create a partition and its mount point is /boot, DD will make
that a primary partition (hda1) because the kernel is in /boot. Since there is
no reason for second primary partition, DD makes everything else a logical
partition of an extended partition.  It also know that this needs to be a
primary partition (for LILO) so it makes this hda1. (this of course is assuming
you are using LILO as the primary boot loader). Since / is the root partition
and *doesn't* contain /boot (separate partition), it makes it hde6 (the
extended partition hde5 is not shown in DD but is in cfdisk or fdisk).

If you didn't have /boot as a separate partition then by default it would be
a directory under /. In this case DD would make / primary partition nda1.  Remember,
*only* the partition that has the kernel (or a mount point that contains the
kernel) needs to be primary; everything else is logical.

Phew! Hope this helps

Steve

--
illegitimi non carborundum