Yesterday I successfully installed rh6.2 on my 486/66 computer (64MB
RAM), but the ethernet card doesn't work.

I have tried three different cards: a 3c590-TPO (PCI), 3c900 (PCI), and
3c509 (ISA) all with the same failure.

The OS recognizes the cards through PNP when I put them in and it even
tells me properly what the model is that it has detected.

But during the re-boot process I see the following error message:

insmod /lib/modules/2.2.15-2.5.0/net/3c59x.o: insmod eth0 failed
Delaying eth0 installation

The module 3c59x.o is indeed in that directory. I've checked.

But "dmesg" shows no signs that "eth0" is present

And "ifconfig -a" shows only "lo" (loopback) -- not "eth0" (the ethernet
card).

To reduce a possible irq conflict I have temporarily disabled the
CD-ROM, but that didn't help. I have a MACH64 video card in it, but
there are still many irq's left including 10, which is often used for an
ethernet card. The only ones used up are 0,1,2,4,8,13,14.

Do I need to recompile the kernel with the ethernet card module?

Does anyone have a different recommendation on what I could try next?

Thanks

Peter

Peter MacDonald
[EMAIL PROTECTED]