peter wrote:

> Yesterday I successfully installed rh6.2 on my 486/66 computer (64MB
> RAM), but the ethernet card doesn't work.
>
> I have tried three different cards: a 3c590-TPO (PCI), 3c900 (PCI), and
> 3c509 (ISA) all with the same failure.
>
> The OS recognizes the cards through PNP when I put them in and it even
> tells me properly what the model is that it has detected.
>
> But during the re-boot process I see the following error message:
>
> insmod /lib/modules/2.2.15-2.5.0/net/3c59x.o: insmod eth0 failed
> Delaying eth0 installation
>
> The module 3c59x.o is indeed in that directory. I've checked.
>
> But "dmesg" shows no signs that "eth0" is present
>
> And "ifconfig -a" shows only "lo" (loopback) -- not "eth0" (the ethernet
> card).
>
> To reduce a possible irq conflict I have temporarily disabled the
> CD-ROM, but that didn't help. I have a MACH64 video card in it, but
> there are still many irq's left including 10, which is often used for an
> ethernet card. The only ones used up are 0,1,2,4,8,13,14.
>
> Do I need to recompile the kernel with the ethernet card module?
>
> Does anyone have a different recommendation on what I could try next?

Go into Linuxconf and check there.  I had a similar problem with an
RH6.0 machine.  Everything was there, but the driver wasn't listed with
the card in Linuxconf.  It was on the pulldown, but for whatever reason
hadn't made it into the block.  You might also have to manually put the
irq in in the same place.