On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, peter wrote:
> Yesterday I successfully installed rh6.2 on my 486/66 computer (64MB
> RAM), but the ethernet card doesn't work.
>
> I have tried three different cards: a 3c590-TPO (PCI), 3c900 (PCI), and
> 3c509 (ISA) all with the same failure.
>
> The OS recognizes the cards through PNP when I put them in and it even
> tells me properly what the model is that it has detected.
>
> But during the re-boot process I see the following error message:
>
> insmod /lib/modules/2.2.15-2.5.0/net/3c59x.o: insmod eth0 failed
> Delaying eth0 installation

Turn off pnp in your bios. That'll help a lot. You may also
want to get a better nic, as the 3Com have been known to be
tricky to install. I personally recommend dec-tulip based
cards or Intel ether-express based cards. Both are fairly
easy to install. The trick with the tulip-based cards is
that there are two different drivers, but I *think* I read
that they'd been combined into one driver now, which
supports either of the two chipsets.
        John