Cameron Simpson wrote:

> | Last time I checked, this worked fine, but I was doing "startx -- :1" -
> | perhaps the space between the "--" and ":1" is required to make it work?
>
> Of course it's required. "--" is a special marker in command options
> meaning "end of options". In the case of startx, startx is a wrapper
> for both a session script and the X server, and the -- distinguishes
> the options for the X server from what comes before (if anything).
>
> This is even (gasp!) described in the manual entry.

why is this needed in this case?  there is no expansion/ iterpolation done for the
: char is there?  does the : confuse bash because it is the path seperator?

The -- marker is talked about in context of several things (in the bash man page)
but none that I can see that has anything explicity to do with :

Any clification/enlightenment welcome

Bret