On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Martin Brown wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
>
> > "Mikkel L. Ellertson" wrote:
> > >
> > > The X session starts on the next free VC, not on the VC you type the
> > > command to start X from.  With a stock RedHat system, the first X
> > > session startx on VC 7, the second on VC 8, the third on VC 9, etc.
> > > So, with what you started, to get to the session you started from VC 1,
> > > use Ctrl-Alt-F8, and for the one from VC 2, use Ctrl-Alt-F9.
> > > (VC 1 is the console you get to with Ctrl-Alt-F1...)
> > >

> > Thank you. Btw, if Ctrl-Alt-F8 responses to startx in Ctrl-Alt-F1 virt.
> > console or
> >                    Ctrl-Alt-F9 responses to startx in Ctrl-Alt-F2 virt.
> > console etc.
> >
> > I wonder, what virt. console Ctrl-Alt-F7 responses to :-))
> >
> > Misko
>
> Well, on RH 6.1 using runlevel 3, the X sessions are assigned to
> Ctrl-Alt-F7...F12 in the order they are started, regardless of which
> console they're started from.  At least that has been my experience,
> though I've actually never started 6 X sessions.  I have done 4.
>
> I believe the above to be the "standard" way of doing it.  Not all
> distro's do it that way though.  Caldera, with their first distro to use
> KDE and runlevel 5, awhile back, did some "non-standard" stuff.
>
> Typically, after a boot, I login as 'root' on vc 1, then Ctrl-Alt-F2 and
> login as my user.  From there I do a 'startx', which puts the user X
> session at F7.  Then I go to F1, and have 'root' do a 'startx -- :1', for
> a second X session, which gets assigned to F8.  Why?  I don't always start
> an X session for root.
>

>                             - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
>                             - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -

Unless you specify the VC to run on, X will use the next free VC.  So the
first one will start on VC 7 on a stock Red Hat system.  If you change the
number of copies of mingetty you have running from /etc/inittab, or have
VC 7 in use by another program, this will change the next free VC.  If you
are using run level 5, then the X secession started by xdm, kdm, or gdm
will use the first free VC.  (Or more then one, if you ser up the display
manager that way.)  There is no fixed mapping.  That is why I said for a
stock Red Hat system, and also said my mapping applied to the way the
first posted had started his X secessions.

On one of my machines, if you start X, it will start on VC 4 - I only have
3 text VCs running on that machine.  I am thinking of turning an old 386
machine I have into an X terminal.  That machine will probably only have 1
text VC running, boot to run level 5, and have X running on VC 2.  I just
need the time to costumize a realy small version of Linux with no daemons,
minimal kernel, etc...

Mikkel