On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

> After having one Gnome X running from a user's account per default at
> system boot, I just went to another console with Ctrl-Alt-F1, loged as
> root and typed "startx -- :1". I got another Gnome session. So far so
> good. I wanted to return to the first X so I did Ctrl-Alt-F7 and I was
> there back. Now I wanted to return to root's Gnome X so I entered
> another Ctrl-Alt-F1. But, this time I was informed of an error that an X
> session was already started for display 1. So, I exited root's session
> completely and tried Ctrl-Alt-F2 (etc) also as root. Well, "startx --
> :1" gave me similar error, but I was smart and did "startx -- :2". I got
> another Gnome session. So far so good. I wanted to return to the first X
> so I did Ctrl-Alt-F7 and I was there back. Now I wanted to return to
> root's Gnome X so I entered another Ctrl-Alt-F2. But, this time I was
> informed of an error again.
>
> Any solution?
>
> Misko

The X session starts on the next free VC, not on the VC you type the
command to start X from.  With a stock RedHat system, the first X
session startx on VC 7, the second on VC 8, the third on VC 9, etc.
So, with what you started, to get to the session you started from VC 1,
use Ctrl-Alt-F8, and for the one from VC 2, use Ctrl-Alt-F9.
(VC 1 is the console you get to with Ctrl-Alt-F1...)

Mikkel