On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 12:25:43PM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
| > | Last time I checked, this worked fine, but I was doing "startx -- :1" -
| > | perhaps the space between the "--" and ":1" is required to make it work?
| >
| > Of course it's required. "--" is a special marker in command options
| > meaning "end of options". In the case of startx, startx is a wrapper
| > for both a session script and the X server, and the -- distinguishes
| > the options for the X server from what comes before (if anything).
| >
| > This is even (gasp!) described in the manual entry.
|
| why is this needed in this case?  there is no expansion/ iterpolation done for the
| : char is there?  does the : confuse bash because it is the path seperator?

No no no.

startx sees the arguments _after_ all the shell muging (none in this case).

But startx is a _wrapper_ for two other programs - the X server and
your session script, invoked by xinit. Startx passes some arguments to
xinit and some arguments to the X server. The "--" tells startx where
the arguments for xinit end and the arguments for the server (":1")
begin.

| The -- marker is talked about in context of several things (in the bash man page)
| but none that I can see that has anything explicity to do with :

It has nothing to do with the ":1" and everything to do with which of the
subsidiary programs is _handed_ the ":1".

See the third paragraph of "man startx".

(Well, really, startx runs xinit with "nice" arguments - I always run xinit
myself - and it is in fact xinit which handles the --).
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

I very strongly suggest that you periodically place ice packs over the abused
areas.  - Steve Garnier