On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Duncan Hill wrote:

> > "Burke, Thomas G." wrote:
> >
> > There's a memtest program out there somewhere...  You follow it's
> > instructions & it creates a boot disk for you, & then does a
> > _thorough_
>
> Ugh.. rebooting a live server to do a memory test isn't what I really
> want to do right now.  Server is used 24x7 by several thousand people.

right, this is hat I was trying to say here:

> > > I'm starting to think a memory chip has gone bad, but it's not
> > > the kind of  thing you can test easily on an operational server.

So, at the moment I am faced with two options

1. hope you figure yours out :)
2. buy some RAM and replace the questionable sticks, test the other RAM in
another box at some point, and hope this solves my problem.

I'm quite sure #1 is not a feasable approach :) Now, was that 72pin or
168pin RAM ...

charles