I've been using Linux for about three years now and haven't really explored much
beyond the usual bash commands:
mv, ls, mkdir, export, gzip, dd, cat, etc...

I really want to gain more knowledge on shell scripting.  (I used to be pretty good at
DOS batch files in my "bad old days" :) )  Does anyone have any good resources that
they are familiar with on the net?

Second question:  How would I take the output of the 'date' command and use it to name
a file?  I am going to be setting up a backup routine using tar/gzip and would like to
name the files with date info.  Would I create an environment variable that woudl hold
the output of 'date' and the tell tar to name the file <evn var>.tar ?

Thanks,
George

--
George H. Lenzer