On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:17 Gustav Schaffter wrote:
>Chuck,
>
>I tried sending mail from one PC to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but that didn't work
>neither. I can do both forward and reverse nslookups between the two
>PCs. (Actually between all my PCs.)
>
>Having typed this far I thought "I'll follow his tip to the point" and
>tried to send mail to gus@[10.0.0.1] and it worked!!!
>

>Please, explain to me why. :-)

According to RFC821, the square brackets denote a host specification that
does not require MX record resolution. In plain English, the brackets tell
sendmail not to do a DNS lookup and to attempt delivery to the specified
host.

I think you can use hostnames too, as long as they are in your /etc/hosts
file, or resolvable through normal DNS lookups (host has a registered "A"
record). In these cases, the resolver associated with your TCP stack does the
resolution, not sendmail.

RFC821 is relatively easy reading and is available from the IETF
<http://www.ietf.org/>.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D