On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Gustav Schaffter spewed into the bitstream:

GS>Chuck,
GS>
GS>I tried sending mail from one PC to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but that didn't work
GS>neither. I can do both forward and reverse nslookups between the two
GS>PCs. (Actually between all my PCs.)
GS>
GS>Having typed this far I thought "I'll follow his tip to the point" and
GS>tried to send mail to gus@[10.0.0.1] and it worked!!!

We had an acronym for what you were doing when I was in the Army... it was
FFI (failure to follow instructions). :-)

GS>Please, explain to me why. :-)
GS>
GS>> ...and you have MTA's listening on all hosts...
GS>
GS>Could you please be more specific. I'm a real mail illiterate. :-)

The brackets [] tell MTA's (e.g. sendmail, postfix etc.) not to query DNS
but to send directly via IP.

--
Chuck Mead, CTO, LinuxMall.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]