%-> I'm testing v2.2.17, and have run into a problem.  While the kernel is
%-> booting, I get the following error:
%->
%-> /lib/aic7xxx.o: Kernel-module version mismatch
%-> /lib/aic7xxx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.12-20smp while this
%-> kernel is version 2.2.17.
%-> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno=2
%-> VFS: cannot open root device 08:01
%-> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:01

The initscript is trying to use the wrong module

%-> Obviously, I'm upgrading from 2.2.12.  Following are the steps I took:
%->
%-> tar xfvz linux-2.2.17
%-> cd linux
%-> make config
%-> make dep
%-> make clean
%-> make bzImage
%-> <lilo set up>
        ^^^ don't do this yet...

%-> make modules

either mv -v /lib/modules/<old-modules> /lib/modules/<old-modules.bak> or
remove them completely.

Then do:

%-> make modules_install

And:

make bzlilo

Unless you edit the Makefile, make bzlilo will put the kernel (vmlinuz) and
System.Map into the / directory -- just move them to /boot and run lilo -v
if that happens, after having made sure that /etc/lilo.conf has the right
information.

%-> For whatever reason, aix7xxx doesn't seem to be recompiling or the
%-> incorrect version is being installed.  I always assumed that when
%-> booting a kernel (such as 2.2.17), it would look to the 2.2.17 modules
%-> library.  But for some reason (again, I'm assuming here - dangerous
%-> stuff), the system seems to be trying to pull the aic7xxx from the
%-> 2.2.12-20smp modules directory.

Consider using the official Red Hat kernel src.rpm with patches...?

-- Juha