On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Smith, Jonathan wrote:

> I been running the following command on both computers
>
> pppd -detach crtscts lock <local ip>:<remote ip> /dev/ttyS1 38400&

Maybe try:

pppd -detach crtscts lock noauth <local ip>:<remote ip> /dev/ttyS1 115200

Don't use the '&', that's what detach is for.  Unless you're sure that
your serial ports won't do 115200, then use that as the connection
speed.  "noauth" is required if you have a default route (and I'm assuming
that at least one of these two machines will).

Also, consider that neither PPP nor PLIP will come close to the speed of
even 10Mb network, due to the low transmition rates of serial/parallel
ports.  Is this too expensive to be an option??

MSG