-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 5:43 PM
Subject: Compiling linux-2.4.0-test9 kernel on Redhat 7

>I thought this would be easy, but am wrong.  No matter how I try to compile
>this
>kernel, I still get errors.
>
>Is there something I need to setup in order to compile this properly once
>downloading
>and setting it up?
>
>In
>
>/usr/src/linux/ there is a link  called
>asm -> asm-i386
>

>which surely should be in /usr/src/linux/include/
>
>Is this because of the experimental gcc compiler or is it something else,
>i'm hoping lots of people have come across this every day task problem
>and have a fix.
>
>There are lots of include warnings when compiling until it barfs.
>
>Perhaps someone could download this kernel and tell me what they get?

This has come up before.  I ran into this in 6.2 as well...  There are two
or three sym links missing.  You can recreate them easily enough.  ln -s
filename filename.  If I recall the syntax correctly, you could do:
ln -s /usr/src/linux/asm /usr/src/linux/include/asm  check man ln to be sure
:)

I can't recall the specific files that are missing, but I think the error
messages point them out fairly clearly.  If you can't spot them, I can try
and resurrect the emails about all this.  Hope this helps.

Jeff Hogg