Thanks for the solutions.  I later found that the old Red hat BASIC package
was "Chipmunk BASIC" which has evolved considerably since the 1.20
days.  If anyone else needs BASIC, my advice would be to avoid it at all
costs.  As a last resort, the Chipmunk BASIC home page has numerous BASIC
links.  But really, I did not find any good Linux-oriented BASIC
interpreters (cbas, for example, is primarily oriented toward the Mac) to
run old DOS BASIC programs.

In the process, I became reacquainted with exactly how horrid BASIC is and
decided to port rather than try to debug the BASIC code.

-Alan