Jeff,

I'm not real familiar with how ping works, so the following may be totally
off base: you might check what daemons are running every night when you
leave using ps fauwx > monitor (or any other file name you wish), and
compare that with a new readout in the morning if the network is down.
This will allow you to check and see if any daemons have died during the
evening - inetd, proftpd, httpd, etc.  I believe that restarting the
network only brings up the NICs, sets kernel routing, and turns on packet
forwarding.  To my knowledge it doesn't restart any of the daemons.

Also, if you have an extra NIC laying around you might try replacing it,
switching ports on the hub, and replacing your cabling (or the ends) to
the respective box (just a stab in the dark).

Glen

Oct 15, at 16:12, Jeff Grossman sent through the Star Gate: