----- Original Message -----
From: "Shepard,Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Kevin Holmquist '" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 6:49 PM
Subject: RE: Network Problem

> I thought about that, but I can't ping anything either, except myself.
> Thanks anyway
>
> -Brian Shepard

I just had another thought: what kind of NIC is it?  I've had problems with
tulip based NICS (particularly Lynksys) where things just don't work
right...  I end up getting customized drivers from the manufacturer.

The other times I've had symptoms like you're describing is when the subnet
mask is wrong or the default gateway isn't set.  You might also try a
different patch cord; I've seen flaky ones that will ping but not handle
http, work with one app but not others, etc.

Finally, bug a neighbor that you know and try their ethernet port.  There
may be a problem in the cabling, patch panel, etc.